Friday, February 3, 2012

Runnin' Down a Dream


Well, I am proud to say January went well! After a 4-day break for a Hindi holiday, celebration and festivities for India’s Republic Day, and a full three days of monthly tests, everyone is alive and well. But though the day-to –day things happen, transition is still very much a part of life here. Just as January began with the departure of Susan, so February began with the departure of Rachel. I saw her off at the airport to catch her Dubai-Dulles-Denver flights and I’m so glad she arrived safely!

February for the past few days has been good so far. Different. Studying times are no longer geared for a monthly test, but for Term III exams! But there are still remnants of January to be seen. I attended a Sports Day breakfast this morning. It was a thank you to all of those who organized everything on Republic Day and who placed 1st,2nd and 3rd in the events. Mostly it was a time of fellowship (complete with a bowl of homemade peanut butter) but there was some informal discussion of what the Bible school students learned about leadership, teamwork and what it means to win/lose.

“Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. And everyone who competes in the games exercises self control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore, I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I buffet my body and make it my slave, lest possibly, after I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified.” (the apostle Paul’s words from 1Cor.9:24-27).

About a month before I left, I read Richard Foster’s book on spiritual discipline and though I was eager to read it, it stated some very difficult facets of obedience, endurance, and commitment. With just over a month to go here in Coimbatore, the infamous words of my Bible school days ring in my ears. “Finish strong” we were told… Finish strong.

“But as for you, go your way to the end…” (Dan. 12:13).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this update, Steph. We will be praying that you finish strong. Love from the Rocky Mountains (and 14 inches of snow!) - Sarah and fam

    ReplyDelete